Friday, October 25, 2013

Virgin Coconut Oil and the Oil Cleansing Method

Hello Ladies! I am currently in the process of testing out new products and beauty methods which take some time for results. I am so excited to share them with you!

In the meantime, let me tell you about my modified version of the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM). Being a voracious internet surfer, I first came across this method when I was researching about the many uses of virgin coconut oil. I previously made a post on how to use VCO as a remedy for hairfall. Since I have so much left, I wanted to see what else I can use it for.



This is how I understand the principles behind the Oil Cleansing Method: 

1) There is a "rebound effect" when you use overly drying skin care products. When we use products that rob our skin of  its natural oils, it overcompensates by producing more oil. This predisposes to clogged pores and acne. Achieving truly clear skin requires a balance, and the irony is you have to leave oil on your skin surface to keep it from producing too much oil from within.

2) Like dissolves like. In this case, hardened sebum in our pores are dissolved by oil. 

Makes sense, doesn't it? :-)

These are the simplified steps in the Oil Cleansing Method:

1) Apply a generous amount of oil on your skin (enough to cover your face, but not to the point that it is dripping down your chin). 
2) Massage your face
3) Apply gentle heat: may be in the form of steam, or a (tolerably) hot towel. The hot steam generated while you shower the rest of your body may be enough. You just want to open your pores, not cook your skin. 
4) Wipe away/wash away excess oil with water. Some use hot water to dissolve the oil. Some use cold water to close the pores. Some say use room temperature water. The goal is to leave just enough oil that your skin needs. 

I followed steps 1-3, using a hot towel. Heat opens up your pores and lets the oil dissolve the sebum stuck in deeper areas. However, just washing with water makes me feel that there is still too much oil on my face. I have to use a small amount of mild soap to wash away the excess oil. This is probably because VCO is heavier than the other types of oil that are being used for OCM. In spite of being heavier, it does not clog pores. The type of oil used varies from person to person. Some use a mixture of sunflower and castor oil. I guess it would depend on personal preference, skin type and what  is available to you. I prefer to use my VCO since I have so much of the stuff lying around. Maybe I'll try to add a bit of castor oil in it someday, but for now, pure VCO is enough for me.

Try this once and you'll get hooked. I noticed a big difference the first time I did it. My face felt so much softer, but clean, and GLOWING! Not the oily type of shine, but a sheen that looks healthy from the inside. I do this at night, when I have the luxury of time. In the morning before work, I do a very quick massage and skip the hot towel. Right now, I hardly use any moisturizer. I just apply sunscreen on top of that "just right" amount of oil left on my face and I'm good to go. My face is far from oily and my skin has been so clear since I tried it!

I just want to add something about the face massages. You can find articles devoted entirely to this topic. Look them up and you will find tips and techniques on how to do a proper massage. I do this while I'm watching TV or reading. It's a bit tiring on the fingers, but I really try to do it regularly. Aside from helping you gently exfoliate your face and dissolve all the impurities and sebum on your skin, massaging can work wonders in removing fine lines and increasing your skin's elasticity. It does this by increasing blood circulation to your face. A good blood circulation increases the supply of oxygen and nutrients to your skin and promotes the  production of collagen and elastin. 

There are really no hard or set rules on how to do a proper massage, just try to use upward strokes as much as possible. I put a bit more effort on my jawline, chin, my laugh lines and around my eyes which are areas that I feel need more "lift".

If you've heard of "RF Slimming", it uses basically the same principle which is improved circulation, but with the aid of radiofrequency for stimulation of subcutaenous layers and heating. Personally, I feel that a good diet, lots of water, exercise and extra TLC is enough to achieve healthy and beautiful skin :-) You don't even have to spend on expensive products! It just takes more time and effort to see results, but I find that the natural method is always better. If you just stick to your routine, you don't have to waste big bucks on these "quick fixes".

Have you tried the oil cleansing method? What type of oil do you use? I would love to hear your story :-)

Thanks for reading this!

4 comments: